vi·car·i·ous trav·el·er

6.21.2006

dark skies


sky, originally uploaded by staarkidd.

Although this is an old, poorly-touched up photo, it represents the skies that i've been seeing a lot lately around my house. my happy place is sitting in a hammock on the edge of a mexico ranch. I am looking out over a valley soaking under a dark cloud, heavy rain, and a violent wind, but the sun is shining on my hillside. the contrast of bright and dark gives me a feeling of such clarity and comfort. all the colors in the sun are saturated against the grey clouds... sigh...

This seems to best represent my place in life as well. i sat in a coffee shop this weekend and glanced up from my studies to look at an older couple beside me. something in her gaze and posture made me gulp back sudden tears. i went home that night and wept for her. i wept for all of us who have endured loss, who watch the storms passing along the horizon, who yearn for redemption, all who quest for clarity like the sun breaking open the dark clouds. Then a friend sent me this prayer of blessing written by brennan manning. this makes me smile.

May all your plans be frustrated
May all your expectations be crushed
May all your dreams vanish
That you may experience the total power loss and poverty in order to dance in the presence of a Father that has all you need.

1 Comments:

  • give in to brokenness

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home