vi·car·i·ous trav·el·er

10.16.2010


AMERICAN MANGER SCENES
For several years now I've wrestled with my inner "evangelical". I like the music, the coffee, the manger scenes. There's something so American about church. It's a great show, often quirky, but to me, always a little foreign as I watch the others swaddle up the fake baby Jesus and grab another cup of coffee. Although I have struggled against it for so long, I find my inner evangelical is now on the outside looking in at the American evangelical church. A drive-thru nativity spectator.

My husband says I'm recovering. I prefer cagey. . . wary, skeptical, trapped. Perhaps it's the Third Culture kid inside that's having a hard time recognizing this American god. Perhaps it's the media critic in me that just can't stop analyzing script in terms of culture, power, and hegemony. Or perhaps God is doing something very fascinating and utterly confusing. These next few posts will explore some of the questions a cagey, recovering evangelical ponders, a few book reviews, and some interesting thoughts I hope to borrow from respected friends. Come on ring those bells and everybody stay tuned.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home