vi·car·i·ous trav·el·er

12.27.2006

ooo, the pretty lights!


lights, originally uploaded by staarkidd.

After a delicious bowl of noodles at the ramen shop, Heather and I took a stroll around denver's botanic gardens. The gardens are supposedly built on an old cemetary. Apparently, some areas of the garden have produced more bountiful plants, while others nothing. The lilly pad pools were created because nothing would grow in that soil.

It all reminded me of a time when i was excavating in Israel and put my tool through a limestone rock. I cleaned out the interior and called my professor over to see my "hallow rock"! what an amazing geological find! He scratched his head and said, "that's not a hallow rock, Deb. That's a skull".

What an interesting way to leave your mark upon history. I often wonder who that person was (presumably, a bedouin) and if they would mind being discovered so awkwardly and talked about (and blogged about) 5oo years later. My professor loves to tell the story to all his new students. This was certainly one of the strangest experiences of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home